The strategic situation in Asia is rapidly changing and poses significant challenges for Japan and Europe, particularly in the areas of maritime safety, compliance with international standards, space and cyberspace. From the Korean peninsula to the China Sea and the Taiwan Strait, points of tension are multiplying while power struggles between China, Russia and the United States are in the process of redefinition, increasing uncertainties.
Since 2012, Japan has put in place a new security and defence strategy based on the principle of proactive pacifism while preserving the centrality of the alliance with the United States and developing an essential dialogue on strategic issues with other partners who share the same interests and values.
The FRS Japan program, inaugurated in 2016 under the responsibility of Valérie Niquet, contributes to this dialogue by organising conferences, closed seminars and the regular publication of analytical notes. This program is funded through the research support initiatives of the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
SeminarMaison de la Recherche, Paris, FR, January 30, 2020
Japan Review, Vol. 3, n°1, Summer 2019
Power balance: Japan’s Role in the Indo-Pacific under the constraints of big powers priorities [...]
The Japan Institute of International Affairs (JIIA), September 27, 2019
Sharing the Same principles: An essential factor for Cooperation, Stability and the Resolution of Territorial issues in the Indo-Pacific
The Japan Institute of International Affairs (JIIA), July 23, 2019
The Coming of Ages of the EU Strategic Thinking on Asia Part 2:Understanding Each Other Challenges:Towards a New Partnership with Japan
The Japan Institute of International Affairs (JIIA), April 24, 2019
Asia and Europe from the Versailles Treaty to the Present: The Legacies of Past War-Endings and Peace-making between Constraints and Forward Looking
ConferenceMaison de la Chimie, Paris, FR, January 28, 2019
VideoValérie Niquet (among the speakers), January 2019
Note de la FRS n°05/2018Valérie Niquet, March 2018
- « Between Opportunities and Interrogations: Can the Olympics be Game-Changers for Norms and Soft Power », Conference, Maison de la Chimie, Paris, FR, March 9, 2018
- « The Legacy of France's Colonial Past in Asia and its Consequences for Contemporary International Relations and Conflict Resolution », Valérie Niquet,
JIIA, Article, March 8, 2018
- « Chinese Objectives in High Technology Acquisitions and Integration of Military and Civilian Capabilities: A Global Challenge », Valérie Niquet, Note de la FRS n°03/2018, March 2018
- « Between substance and appearance: China’s « smile diplomacy » towards Japan decrypted », Valérie Niquet,
JIIA, Article, February 10, 2018
- « Indo-Japanese Strategic Partnership: Scope and Future Avenues », Monika Chansoria, Note de la FRS n°17/2017, September 2017
- « Evolution of the Strategic Situation in Asia and Consequences for Europe », Half day study, Maison de la Chimie, Paris, FR, February 3, 2017